Club History

Club History

1920's & 30's

In July 1926 William Davies and the Vicar of Staines, the Reverend J R James, MA, a founder member of the London-Irish and President of that Club, announced the formation of a rugby football club for Staines. At the inaugural meeting, the Reverend James was elected President along with Bill Davies as Captain and Honorary Treasurer.

Arrangements were made for a pitch on the Ashby Recreation Ground (also known as the 'Lammas') and that is where Staines played up to the 1946-47 season.

The Club's first game was on October 16th 1926 at home to Windsor 'B', in front of, according to the Staines and Egham News, 'a large crowd of rugby enthusiasts'. The final score was Staines 15, Windsor 'B' 0.

The story of Staines RFC to 1939 was the fight to attract, in a Football area, enough players to run two XV's. Staines lost a few players when Ashford RFC was formed in 1932 and just prior to World War II it was recognised by some members of both clubs that it would be better for rugby in the district to have one sound club rather than two smaller clubs. The amalgamation of Staines RFC and Ashford RFC was forced on the Club when war broke out in 1939 and neither club was left with enough players for one XV. The Club resurrected during August 1946.

1940's & 50's

During the 1947-48 season, a pitch was rented on the Laleham Cricket Club ground, Ashford Road, the 'ExA' was formed and the following season Staines Cygnets, the first true Colts side in the London area. With these additional teams, a second pitch on the Cricket Club ground was needed, followed by a third located in Laleham Park. When the 'B' XV was formed in 1958-59 and the 'ExB' in 1959-60 with a Cygnets 2nd XV, a second pitch was rented in Laleham Park, giving the Club four pitches.

In 1949, Staines inaugurated the Annual Sevens Tournament, the only one at that time apart from the Middlesex 7s.


During 1961-62, the Staines Referees Society was formed and the Second XV was named the 'Cobs' , creating an 'Extra 1st' team. The Club was now regularly running six senior 'XV's, an 'Under 21' side and the 'Cygnets'.
The most significant series of events in the Club's history took place between 1962 and 1964 when the Club became the owner of its own freehold land.
In November 1962, the Club agreed to pay a deposit on 10 acres of land on a filled-in gravel pit in Snakey Lane, Hanworth. In April 1963 the Staines Rugby Football and Sports Club Limited was formed to purchase the land for the use of Staines RFC and the purchase was completed in October 1963. On September 2nd 1964, W.C. Ramsey opened "The Reeves" and Staines played a strong Middlesex XV.


In 1970, we reached the Middlesex Sevens finals at Twickenham, and we have won the Middlesex County RFU Cup & Fullers Brewery Middlesex Merit Table four times.
In 1974 Staines was the first Middlesex County Rugby Club to introduce the concept of Mini/Junior rugby. Today Staines RFC Youth Section is able to turn out talented sides through every age group from Under 7's to Under 16s - a total of some 150 young players - with one of our 'mini's' being capped for Scotland.
Under 21 XV and numerous others have remained with us to advance to the First XV, Middlesex Colts, London Colts XV, Middlesex County Clubs XV and the full Middlesex County side. In addition to the aforesaid we are proud to have had Lawrence Dallaglio, of Wasps and England as one of our former Mini's.

1980's & 1990's

In October 1987 the severe hurricane which hit the South East of England uprooted some 16 of the tall poplar trees which were a feature around the grounds and of which 6 smashed through the Clubhouse completely wrecking changing rooms, the main function room, but, miraculously leaving the bar and Presidents bar intact. Act of God?

As a result of this 'ill wind blowing some good', Staines RFC now has a new and larger Clubhouse complete with gymnasium, modern shower & changing facilities and much improved function/catering amenities.

2000 to Present

The 2004/2005 League season saw Staines achieve a creditable second place in the English Clubs Championship London Division Two. This resulted in promotion back to London & SE Division One after just one season in Division Two. An excellent run in the Powergen Intermediate Cup was only ended in extra time of the semi final by a loss to a very strong team from Westoe.

Staines were promoted to National League 3 (South) in the 2010/2011 season and remained there for the 2011/2012 season.

The 1XV the Swans currently play in Herts/Middlesex 1

Past Presidents

Rev J R James MA


G V Reeves


W Davies


A R Partner


R C Granger


W Davies


E S Haysler


G E Swain ISO


E J de Voil


K D Cloran


T J Partner


W R Johnston


T Brightwell


B Lawless